Oh boy, what a week! Here's what put the sparkle into it:
- Once I heard that there was going to be a parade in Philly for the Villanova basketball team last Friday, I was super torn about going. (Big crowds are not my favorite--surprise!) But the once-in-a-lifetime nature of the situation finally won me over (along with my regret over not going to the Phillies parade in '08!). We couldn't see or hear very well at the parade and subsequent rally, but at least we were there! (Oh yeah, I made Pops be my parade wing-man!) It's times like this when I really appreciate that my job is super flexible and lets me work from home on short notice so that I can do cool, spur-of-the-moment things. :)
- Monday got off to a super Monday start. At stop #2 on my morning commute (the el), I saw the ticker at the station say something about "shuttle buses" and "delays up to one hour." Uh, ain't nobody got time for that, especially when you have a seven-minute window to make your next Septa connection, so I just went back home to get a ride. Sigh. BUT THEN! My day improved 1000% on my walk home when I spotted this dapper guy in his Monday tuxedo:
He sat like that, still as a statue, as a guy passed with his dog, but when I went to my house (next door), I heard "MEOW! MEOW!" and noticed someone following me through the bushes!! I tried to approach him at that point, but he went all ABORT ABORT on the friendliness and dove back into the bushes. And then, a street sweeper came down our little street, which was all the poor cat could take--he fled that vacuum-esque truck at warp speed. Oh well, at least I got to spend a few minutes of National Pet Day with someone's pet!
- This week was Disney Week on DWTS, which made me realize just how random my taste in Disney music is. Don't get me wrong, I love "Part of Your World" and "Friend Like Me" as much as the next earhat-wearing person, but I was lobbying hard for some "So This Is Love" and "Once Upon a Dream." (Fun fact: my text tone is the "ahhhh ahhhh" from the middle of "Once Upon a Dream"!) Thankfully, Ginger and Val gave me a pleasant surprise by dancing to "Belle" instead of "Beauty and the Beast." There goes the baker with his tray like alwaaaays, the same old bread and rolls to sellllll...
- So, confession time: I had braces in high school and was so so good about the rubber bands, and the not chewing gum, and everything. And then I got to college and stopped wearing my retainers, like a typical dumb college kid. Surprise, my teeth shifted! And by the time I could see the shifting, my old retainers didn't fit anymore. Thus began several years of me fretting about the state of my teeth but not actually doing anything about it because I was so ashamed that I hadn't followed the rules. But this week, I actually started to lose sleep over the whole thing (no lie), so I finally made an appointment at the orthodontist. On Thursday, I went and found out that, yes, my teeth have shifted, but that it's totally fixable by wearing my retainers all the time for awhile and then just (consistently) at night. THANK THE LORD. So I now I'm a 29 year old with a retainer and a lisp (ugh!), but at least I didn't totally undo two years of braces (and waste a lot of my parents' money!). AND no one at the office was judgy at all! The orthodontist actually commended me for being proactive! Ha! I guess they've seen worse cases than me!
- Lastly, here's a jazzy tune to brighten up your Friday workday! It's been stuck in my head all week (and possibly B's too now, whoops), and it's just so delightful! I first heard it in Supernatural and was psyched to learn that it's by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass! (This Guy's in Love with You is so good.) You're welcome. :)
Cheers to the weekend! Hope it's a good one! xo