Happy Friday! Let's see what brought the sparkle:
- YOU GUYS, I taught my yoga class last weekend, and it went SO UNBELIEVABLY WELL!!!! I felt like this confident and composed side of me just took over and kept my anxiety at bay. It was wild! My class focused on self-care and self-love, with a special emphasis on those dark and twisty parts of ourselves that are hard to love. Since the class came so soon after my Rebirthday, I brought in party hats for everyone (I wore my flower crown!) and talked about how inpatient was the first time I admitted to myself and others how much I was struggling—and how accepting those dark parts of myself helped me to stay alive and grow. And tying in with the love theme, I had everyone read a line from my girl Elizabeth Barrett Browning's gorgeous "Sonnet 43"—or "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways." (She and Robert are my Victorian OTP for sure.) The class itself was gentle, incorporated free dance, and emphasized everything as optional because those are the classes that I respond to the best. To be able to foster that experience for people I adore was pure magic. ❤️
- Then on Sunday, when one of our other lovely ladies taught her class, it was snowing, "Into the Mystic" was playing, and I just felt like, Is this real life?! We were basically doing yoga inside a snow globe! We graduate next weekend (!!), and as much as I still struggle with the yoga of it all, I so appreciate having had this outlet to safely feel and connect.
- Interestingly, I've noticed that when I'm staying over at YTT, I usually want to watch Haven, this weird Sci-Fi show that my bffl and I started watching because one of the actors used to be in a Canadian hockey soap opera that we loved (#trueconfessions). I wonder if I'm drawn to it at YTT because that experience is helping me to thaw emotionally. Let me explain: Nathan, one of the main characters in Haven, is "troubled" and can't feel anything—EXCEPT for the touch of his cop partner, Audrey (naturally). This just gives me all the feels because I'm not a very touchy/huggy person, but other touchy/huggy people can bring it out in me, which makes me wonder if my own ability to be affectionate is starting to thaw a little bit. 😘 ANYWAY, Nathan happily realizing that he can feel Audrey's touch always makes me smile because I’ve had that startling feeling of connection before. (Also, my bffl and I exchanged a lot of freaking-out texts when we first saw this scene lol.)
- This week's Weird Ass Song of the Week is "We've Got Tonight" by Bob Seger. I don't even know why I looked it up recently, but I saw on Wiki that Liev Schreiber apparently karaokes it in an episode of Ray Donovan (which I don't watch nbd), and I was like, "Ross the Boss singing 'We've Got Tonight'?! Oh, I am down for that!" And since watching that scene, the song has pretty much been on repeat.
- And lastly, one of my awesome friends alerted me to my future mode of transportation: CAT-DRAWN CHARIOT. You must be a goddess if you can get cats to cooperate enough to pull your chariot!
Hope you have a great weekend! xo